Sorry, the World’s Biggest Bike Maker Can’t Help You Buy a Bike Right Now - The New York Times

Michael Gold

Stephen Walas

Hello,

Section 232 Duties are 25% on steel products and 10% aluminum and aluminum products, almost across the board, not just China.
Just ask our friends to the north, Canada, their primary aluminum production exported to the US is in the crosshairs of being re-subjected to Section 232 10% duty.
Since the average bike rider's bike is made from aluminum, hence they were subject to the additional 10% Section 232 duty.
I don't know if Giant produces carbon fiber bikes and if they did, their production line of  that product did not suffer, especially with the sky high prices.

Rgds/SW

On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 7:11 AM Michael Gold <eyebikester@...> wrote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/17/business/giant-bikes-coronavirus-shortage.html

Mike